Modification and Enforcement Actions

 Home / Modification and Enforcement Actions

Requesting Modification of Custody or Support

Life happens, and situations change. After there has been a significant change in circumstance from when child support, custody or visitation were originally ordered, those orders need to be changed accordingly to reflect the current situation.

At the law office of Malik & Associates, PLLC, our lawyers have experience in all areas of family law. We can guide you through the process of child support, spousal support, visitation and custody, as well as support you through the modification process. We work with you to make sure prior support amounts are still appropriate, or whether a modification needs to occur. We work diligently to be sure that new custody and visitation arrangements protect the best interests of all children involved.

When Are Modifications Necessary?

Modifications are necessary from time to time when there are significant changes in a parent's life. These changes may be substantial enough to warrant modifications to an existing court order. These changes may include:

  • Financial Changes: A drastic pay raise or cut, work demotion, or a lay-off, could lead to an increase or reduction in child support payments.
  • Physical Location: If one parent is moving out of state or the country a change in the visitation agreement is required, and a possible removal of a geographic restriction.
  • Living Situation: If one parent begins living with someone new creating an unhealthy living situation, a modification in custody/visitation agreement may be appropriate.

Enforcement Actions

When a divorce happens or paternity is established, court orders are put in place to ensure that the parties receive the appropriate financial support and/or time with their children. When one party fails to meet these obligations, the other party can pursue an enforcement action. An enforcement action is a legal avenue through the courts to enforce a prior court order for support, custody, or visitation, and essentially make the negligent party follow through on his or her legal responsibilities.

Have Questions About Modifying or Enforcing A Court Order?

The family lawyers at Malik & Associates, PLLC will work with parents to protect the best interests of their children should circumstances change. If the established legal father to your children or your ex-spouse has failed to follow-through on support payments or custody obligations, we will work with you through an enforcement action. We can help you understand your modification and enforcement options during times of change.

Our Family Law Attorneys Can Help

Want specific answers to your modification and enforcement related questions? If you need high quality legal services, give Malik & Associates, PLLC, a call at 214-881-2100 or fill out our form online to schedule your consultation today. You deserve the right to be represented and receive counsel by a competent team who is on your side and will fight for you and your family.

Need Legal Assistance

Your message was successfully sent!